This time of year can be a dangerous time for those on the road. Prepare yourself for the Inevitable. Even though right now it might be nice out good ol' mother nature will be gracing us with her nasty weather very soon. Get ready now!
· Keep your gas tank at least half full
· Clear snow and ice off your car or truck (windows, mirrors, lights, reflectors, hood, and roof.
· Keep your vehicle serviced, make sure all the fluids are topped off.
· Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
· Let people know if you plan to travel that way if something happens they can track you down.
· In case you are stuck tie a florescent flag from your Emergency Kit to your antenna or hang it out your window.
· Stay in your vehicle do not walk in a winter storm this can be very dangerous. Your vehicle is a good shelter.
· Avoid overexertion: Trying to shovel yourself out or push your car takes a lot of effort in a storm. This can also cause you to sweat which makes your clothing wet and this causes you to lose insulation making it more likely for you to get hypothermia.
· Make sure you have your Emergency Winter Kit stalked and ready to go in your car. Keep it in the back seat or passenger floor board, in case the trunk is frozen shut.
· Monitor road and weather conditions by checking local news stations or weather sites.
· Drive slow.
· Plan your route and give yourself plenty of time.
· Always wear your seat belt.
· If you don’t feel comfortable driving, pull off the highway and park at the first safe place.