When drivers come in for orientation we do ask that they have their TWIC card or get one as a lot of our loads run to the port of Oakland, CA. This port requires all drivers to have a TWIC card in order to get inside the port. If someone does not then they will need an escort into the port or will need to have someone switch out and take that load in for them. 

What exactly is a TWIC card?  TWIC stands for Transportation Worker Identification Credential. This is required by the Maritime Transportation Security Act for workers who need access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime facilities and vessels.  TSA handles the background check to decide if a person is eligible and give them their credentials.  The TWIC process has become stricter in the last two years. They no longer accept social security cards as a second form of identification. In order to get your TWIC you must bring your driver’s license and a second form of ID. This second form could be a passport or a birth certificate with the state seal. Then you can fill out an application online HERE or you could call: 855-347-8371 weekdays 8am-10pm ET. Walk ins are welcome but appointments take priority.  Next you will need to pay a non-refundable fee for a new applications $128 for a 5 year cert. They do not accept cash you must pay with either a major credit card, money order, company check or certified/cashier’s check. They do have a reduced rate for drivers who have a Hazmat endorsement on their CDL, this rate is $105.25. There also is a replacement fee if a card is lost or stolen and that is $60. An individual can have their card mailed to their home or they can pick it up in person at the location where they did their enrollment.